Saturday, August 09, 2008

Mild Earthquake Hits Tokyo...and I was here!!



It was just before 1:00pm, and I was about to take Billy, our stage tech from Athens, Georgia to the doctor, as Neil, our stage tech from Truro, Cornwall, had hurt his arm in the midst of some Japanese-efficiency inspired panic attack...

AND THEN THE BUILDING STARTED SHAKING.

I was scared my late night snacking at Shinagawa Station had come back to haunt me. So I sat down.

AND IT KEPT SHAKING.

And then it stopped. Woah.

Associated Press
Published: August 8, 2008

TOKYO (AP) - A mild earthquake shook Tokyo on Friday, with no immediate reports of damage or injuries.
Japan’s Meteorological Agency said the earthquake struck the Tama area of western Tokyo at 1 p.m., with a preliminary magnitude of 4.5. The agency said there was no danger of a tsunami from the quake, which was centered at a depth of about 25 miles.
The earthquake was felt throughout central Tokyo. Broadcaster NHK said several trains halted briefly after it hit. A magnitude 4 earthquake can cause moderate damage to buildings.
Japan is one of the world’s most earthquake-prone countries.

No comments: